The South Williamsport Area School District supports the PIAA rules and emphasis on good sportsmanship. We embrace this fully by definition and in spirit of intent. Proper human courtesies, kindness and decorum must apply to all relationships and situations, and sports are no exception. Scholastic sports exist to build character, allow students to express themselves through physical exertion, and to create a sense of community. There is no place for poor behavior toward anyone (athletes, coaches, parents, other fans, game workers, etc.)
- Disrespectful or derogatory yells, chants, songs or gestures
- Booing or heckling an official’s decision; criticizing officials
- Antagonizing opponents or engaging an opposing fan in a dispute or argument
- Use of profane, vulgar or abusive language
- Unapproved costume or extreme dress or appearance
Spectators who display any of these unacceptable behaviors will be subject to, but not limited to, the following:
Removal from the event or premises
Banishment from attendance at athletic events for a period of time or even permanently
Realize a ticket is a privilege to observe and support scholastic sports
Actions meant to demean opposing contestants, teams, spectators and officials are not in the highest ideals of interscholastic education and will not be tolerated.
Both parenting and coaching are extremely rewarding but sometimes difficult vocations. By establishing an understanding of each position, we are better able to accept the actions of the other and provide greater benefit to athletes. As parents, when your child becomes involved in our program, you have a right to understand what expectations are placed on your child. This begins with clear communication from the coach of your athlete’s program.
- Please support your student-athlete’s efforts to succeed.
- Work to promote a positive environment that is conducive to the development of your student-athlete as a person, a student and an athlete
- Treat all coaching personnel with courtesy and respect
- Assure that your student-athlete will attend all scheduled practices and athletic contests
- Promote and model mature and sportsmanlike behavior at all athletic events.
The coaches and administration of the South Williamsport Area School District welcome communication with student-athletes and their parents/guardians regarding appropriate athletic issues. The athletic director is available via phone or email. Coaches may also inform student-athletes of their phone numbers or email addresses. Refer to the information handed out by the coach at the parent meeting in the beginning of the season.
Appropriate concerns to discuss with coaches:
The treatment of your child
Ways to help your child improve
Concerns about your child’s behavior
Issues NOT appropriate to discuss with coaches:
Team strategy or play calling
PLEASE DO NOT CONFRONT A COACH IMMEDIATELY BEFORE/DURING/AFTER A GAME OR PRACTICE. THESE CAN BE EMOTIONAL TIMES FOR ALL PARTIES INVOLVED, AND MEETINGS OF THIS NATURE RARELY ASSIST IN CREATING A RESOLUTION TO THE SITUATION
Encourage your child to speak directly to the coach. Many times the matter can be resolved through this discussion. You may also contact the coach to set up a meeting; if the coach cannot be reached, contact the athletic director, who can assist you in setting up the meeting. THE ATHLETIC DIRECTOR WILL ONLY INTERVENE IF THE ISSUE HAS ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED WITH THE COACH.